Are you looking to tackle problems at internet scale? Do you find yourself using searching the internet and being frustrated that you cannot find the right results? Are you interested in international markets and do you have a passion for presenting a great global experience to our customers? Are you looking for a start-up like work environment, but appreciate the backing of an established organization? Do you relish being in the role of an underdog facing stiff competition? You have found the right team! The mission of Microsoft’s Search Technology Centre (STC) in Europe is to provide the best search experience to European consumers by delivering Bing search innovations tailored to European markets.
Our Munich office is focused on improving the relevance of search results in European markets. We are making significant investments in machine learning, data mining, query understanding, and information retrieval techniques. We work on a distributed system with tens of thousands of computers (and growing) to return results from billions of documents, several thousand queries at a time, in a matter of milliseconds. Search on the internet is a large scale distributed problem with exacting needs in speed, accuracy, and comprehensiveness and expanding relevant coverage across markets poses unique challenges seldom found at this scale. At the STC Europe, you will have the opportunity to work with world class researchers and developers from around the globe.
We are seeking the best and brightest engineering talent to join our relevance team in Munich where your creativity, passion, and expertise will have a huge impact in taking our product to the next level. We believe there are many opportunities for search innovations within reach and ample opportunities to win users for Bing and increase our European market share.
This position is based in our Munich office where our efforts are focused on improving the relevance of search results in European markets. If you have experience in areas such as machine learning, large scale data mining, parallel or distributed processing, or high performance computing then we are interested in you. As one of the key members of our relevance and platform team, you will be working closely with other highly skilled and motivated Search engineers. In the process, you will help mine the web and other sources for relevant data, scale algorithms, implement global improvements, and efficiently parallelize those approaches to 1,000s or 10,000s of CPUs. If you have a passion for collaborating with talented individuals, for efficient and pragmatic test engineering, for excelling in a small, dynamic, team-oriented environment, and for shipping production-quality services that compete directly with offerings from Google and others, then you may be the candidate we are seeking.
Success in this position requires a broad set of experiences and skills, including excellence in core engineering and the ability to build strong collaborative relationships with Program Management and Development organizations locally and abroad.
You should have proven technical leadership abilities and a strong grasp of software engineering principles, exceptional problem solving skills, experience shipping multiple products and complex product features from the ground-up, and a proven ability to schedule and meet commitments through an entire product cycle. You should be self-motivated, proactive, pragmatic, and possess the demonstrated ability to come up-to-speed quickly in a new technical domain. Excellent interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, and the ability to work collaboratively within a team environment are critically important. Knowledge and experience in internet search/services, machine learning, information retrieval, data mining, and distributed systems is a plus. Fluency in French, German, Spanish, Italian, or Portuguese is highly desirable.
Additionally, the following are required:
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and develop a deep understanding of the product, the customers and the market thus enabling you to quickly implement test engineering solutions that accurately assess the quality of your features
- Success will require leveraging existing tools and metrics while also improving and innovating tools and processes to increase both product quality and engineering efficiency at a rapid pace
- Demonstrated experience delivering results through collaboration across disciplines, feature teams, and partners. Strong cross-team collaboration skills are required
- A detail-oriented, agile, and pragmatic thinker with the ability to handle a diverse number of concurrent activities. Strong project management skills are required
- Exceptional test aptitude and expertise in formal and informal testing techniques as well as quality measurement techniques. Outstanding analytical skills and confident data-driven decision making skills are critical
- Outstanding design, coding and debugging skills in C++ and/or C#
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English)
- 8+ years of experience in a software development engineering role
- BS/MS in computer science or a related discipline is strongly preferred
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity. Join an international work environment that is characterized by flexibility, an informal atmosphere, and a fast pace. We offer competitive pay and a wide range of benefits. Microsoft acknowledges your performance by investing in your health and financial future and by ensuring your work-life-balance.