The Portuguese Translator will work with various clients, employees and management on translating various projects and assignments as required. Responsibilities will include reading original material/documents and rewriting them in the targeted language, researching legal, technical, and scientific phraseology to determine correct translations and liaising with clients and coworkers to discuss translation requirements and any unclear points.
The Portuguese Translator is also expected to provide sound advice to management and coworkers on how to effectively manage and interpret translated material and consult with clients, management and coworkers when translating specialized areas of information such as engineering and geology. This individual will also teach Portuguese to other staff members.
- Analytical Thinking
- Critical Thinking
- Continuous Improvement
- Read original material/documents and rewrite in the targeted language; ensuring the content, meaning and intention of the original/source text is retained in the translation.
- Translate live conference calls for the parties involved.
- Translate engineering and geological documents.
- Provide assistance on matters relating to Brazilian law and tax matters.
- Interpret and translate commercial agreements.
- Establish and maintain contact with governmental bureaus and public services, in various geographical regions.
- Teach Portuguese lessons to English speaking staff.
- Identify and resolve any conflicts related to the meanings of words, phrases or concepts when translating between languages.
- Proofread, revise and edit final translated versions; ensuring that technical terms and terminology remain consistent throughout the translation.
- Refer to reference materials such as dictionaries, thesauruses, encyclopedias, etc. to find the best word/terminology equivalents and ensure translation accuracy.
- Compile terminology and information about the content and context of information to be translated, including technical terms such as legal or medical material.
- Use the internet and email to research legal, technical, and scientific phraseology to determine correct translations, and as tools throughout the entire translation process.
- Liaise with clients and coworkers to discuss translation requirements and any unclear points.
- Provide sound advice to management and coworkers on how to effectively manage and interpret translated material.
- Consult with clients, management and coworkers when translating specialized areas of information and retain and develop specialized knowledge.
- Use appropriate software for presentation and delivery.
- Follow ethical codes that protect the confidentiality of information.
- Other duties shall be assigned as required.
- Bachelor’s of Law Degree (LLB) in or an equivalent study; knowledge of Brazilian law an asset.
- Undergraduate Translation degree an asset.
- Previous experience translating engineering and geological documents an asset.
- Knowledge of commercial agreements and of the Brazilian tax system.
- Complete knowledge of the English and Portuguese languages with the ability to write
- appropriately/professionally in each.
- Must be fluent in English and Portuguese.
- Must be able to translate as conversations are occurring (by telephone and in person).
- Previous experience in teaching languages an asset.
- Should be well aware of different styles of writing and principles of editing in both English and Portuguese.
- Strong verbal communication skills in English and Portuguese.
- Attentive of different knowledge-providing sources like dictionaries, thesaurus’ encyclopedias and how to utilize them.
- Demonstrated project management skills with the ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Interacts with clients, employees, management and the public at large.
- Overtime may be required.
Fonte: Emprego Pelo Mundo